Domain names are interesting things:
- Domain names are made up of letters, numbers and possibly hyphens. It can’t start or end with a hyphen though.
- tulsa.org, yahoo.com, google.com, internetworks.net are all domain names.
- Tulsa.com is the same as TULSA.COM and Tulsa.Com. They are not case sensitive.
- Top level domains are .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .edu and a few more. There are others that reflect country names. The most recognized is the .com top level domain.
- A good domain name reflects you or your company. If your company made donuts in Tulsa, a good domain name would be tulsadonuts.com or donutsintulsa.com. Search engines like word associations like this.
- It is that part of your email address after the @ generally.
- It is registered through a domain registrar.
- It generally has to be renewed every year. You can register for many years if you like and that’s a very good idea!
- If the registration times out, your website, email and anything associated with it becomes unavailable. If you catch it, you can re-register quickly. If not, it will become unavailable or at worst, belong to someone else quickly.
- Register one yourself and watch it like a hawk, let us register it for you and we will notify you when it needs to be renewed. We let you know before it times out in time to get it updated in plenty of time.
A domain registrar is a special company that maintains a database of “registered” domains with the associated information:
- Owner Name and address.
- Administrative, Technical and Billing contacts
- DNS server(s) that is authoritative for the name.
DNS means Domain Name Server. Each domain has one or more DNS servers that keep all of the information for the domain name. We will have a post on the DNS system soon.
You can register your domain in a lot of places and pay a wide range of prices for them. Where your email and website might be hosted does not matter to the domain registration. We try to tell people to let us register the domain name for them. We currently charge $15/year for registering your domain. You can get it for generally half of that if you want. So, why would you let us register it for you? We set ourselves as the technical contact and billing contact. You will be the administrative contact and the owner of the domain. The nice thing is, with us as the billing contact, we will alert you when the re-registration is due. You are more likely to get it renewed with our reminders. We see domains time out from not renewing them on a weekly basis. You will at least be warned that it is timing out. For that service you pay a few dollars a year more. We feel that is a good service to provide.